Saturday, November 1, 2008

Autumn

"Autumn is a season of great beauty, but it is also a season of decline: the days grow shorter, the light is suffused and summer's abundance decays toward winter's death. Faced with this inevitable winter, what does nature do in autumn? It scatters the seeds that will bring new growth in the spring - and scatters them with amazing abandon .... Autumn constantly reminds me that my daily dyings are necessary precursors to new life. If I try to "make" a life that defies the diminishments of autumn, the life I end up with will be artificial, at best, and utterly colorless as well. But when I yield to the endless interplay of living and dying, dying and living, the life I am given will be real and colorful, fruitful and whole."

~ Parker J. Palmer
Let Your Life Speak - Listening for the Voice of Vocation